Reserve your SpotEarly Childhood Summer Organizing Leadership Institute
The Institute will be run by Dr. Denisha Jones, DEY’s Director of Early Childhood Organizing. Dr. Jones, a former early childhood teacher and preschool director, received her Ph.D. from Indiana University in 2013 and her J.D. from the University of the District of Columbia in 2018. She is also Director of Teacher Education and an Assistant Professor in the School of Education at Trinity Washington University in Washington, DC.
DEY will host its first summer institute in Washington, DC, July 7-9. The goal of the Institute is to bring together a committed group of early childhood professionals to develop a policy platform that is child-centered, play-based, and protects childhood for all children. Participants will begin by identifying the issues that threaten early childhood education at the local and national level. Before we delve into the nuts and bolts of advocacy and policy work, we will start with a discussion on the need to center our work on racial and social justice. Additional topics will include the need for play advocacy, the moral imperative to be an early childhood resistor, and creating a policy strategy. Participants will have the opportunity to practice their advocacy pitches, identify potential allies, and create action plans to continue this important work back in their local communities.
DEY is proud to announce the following speakers and guests at the Institute:
- Zakiya Sankara-Jabar Co-Founder Racial Justice NOW! and National Field Director of Dignity in Schools Campaign
- Kisha Reid, Owner/Director/Educator Discovery Early Learning Center; Founder, Play Empowers
- Susan Ochshorn, Founder, ECE PolicyWorks
- Robert Gundling, President DCAEYC
- Emily Gasoi, DC State Board of Education Ward 1
For more information, email DEY Director of ECE Organizing, Denisha Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow our work on Twitter at #DEYInstitute2019 and on our website at DEY.org.
DEY SUMMER ORGANIZING INSTITUTE AGENDA
All meetings are in the Barnett-Aden room at the Eaton Hotel.
Sunday, July 7
- 1:00-5:00 pm Welcome, Overview, Identifying issues and threats to ECE
Monday, July 8
- 9:00-9:30 Breakfast
- 9:30-10:00 Welcome and Brief Overview of Agenda
- 10:00-11:30 Centering Racial Justice in Our Work led by Zakiya Sankara-Jabar Co-Founder Racial Justice NOW! and National Field Director of Dignity in Schools Campaign
- 11:30-12:30 Lunch
- 12:45-2:15 Session I – “Getting Loud About Play So the Right People Hear You!” Led by Kisha Reid, Owner/Director/Educator Discovery Early Learning Center
- 2:15-2:30 Break
- 2:30-3:45 Session II – The ECE Resistance – “A Moral Imperative” led by Susan Ochshorn, Founder ECE Policyworks
- 3:45-4:00 Break
- 4:00-5:30 Session III- “Creating Our Policy Strategy,” Led by Denisha Jones
Tuesday, July 9
- 9:00-9:30 Breakfast
- 9:30-10:30 Advocacy Prep 101
- 10:30-12:00 Mock Advocacy Sessions- with support from Emily Gasoi and Dr. Robert Gundling
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:15-2:30 Working With Allies Working Group
- 2:45-4:00 Developing Action Plans Working Group
- 4:15-5:00 Debrief and Close Out