Defending the Early YearsWorking to support the rights & needs of young children.
About DEYWho We Are.
Defending the Early Years (DEY) is a non-profit organization working for a just, equitable, and quality early childhood education for every young child. DEY publishes reports, makes mini-documentaries, issues position statements, advocates on policy, and provides early childhood educators and advocates with valuable resources.
Senior Advisors and Directors.
Nancy Carlsson-Paige, DEY’s Senior Advisor
Professor Emerita at Lesley University, Cambridge, MA
Diane Levin, DEY’s Senior Advisor
Professor of Early Childhood Education, Wheelock College at Boston University, Boston, MA
Geralyn Bywater McLaughlin, DEY’s Co-Director
Geralyn is the founder of Empowered by Play and is currently an Early Childhood teacher at the Mission Hill School in Boston, MA.
Blakely Bundy, DEY’s Co-Director
Blakely is Director Emeritus and Senior Advisor to The Alliance for Early Childhood on the North Shore of Chicago, where she previously was its Executive Director for twenty-five years.
Denisha Jones, DEY’s Director of Early Childhood Organizing
Assistant Professor of Early Childhood and Elementary Education at Trinity Washington University, Washington, DC.
Gina Contursi, DEY’s Director of Communications and Social Media
National Advisory Board.
- Sherry Cleary, Executive Director, New York Early Childhood Professional Development Institute, The City University of New York, NY
- Bill Crain, Professor of Psychology, City College of New York, NY
- Stephanie Feeney, Professor Emerita, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Portland, OR
- Doris Pronin Fromberg, Professor of Education, Hofstra University, NY
- Ayla Gavins, Principal, Mission Hill School, Boston, MA
- Marcy Guddemi, National Consultant, Daytona Beach, FL
- Michelle Gunderson, First grade teacher, Nettlehorst School, Chicago Public Schools, Chicago, IL
- Denisha Jones, Assistant Professor of Early Childhood and Elementary Education at Trinity Washington University, Washington, DC
- Edgar Klugman, Professor Emeritus Wheelock College & Co Founder of Playing for Keeps, Boston, MA
- Deborah Meier, author and activist, NY
- Ruth Rodriguez-Fay, Save Our Schools and United Opt Out, Boston, MA
- James St. Clair, former kindergarten teacher, Cambridge, MA
- Judith Van Hoorn, Professor Emerita, University of the Pacific, El Cerito, CA
Members of the Founding National Advisory Board.
- Constance Kamii, Professor of Early Childhood Education, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL
- Lilian Katz, Professor Emerita & Clearinghouse on Early Education and Parenting, University of Illinois, IL
- Maurice Sykes, Executive Director, Early Childhood Leadership Institute, University of the District of Columbia, Washington, DC